I love the poncho design of the nursing cover to allow side coverage while breastfeeding (especially when babies start to kick the cover with their little feet). I started out with 1 1/2 yds of fabric. I used home decor. fabric because it's heavier and lays better.
Next, I cut a slit in the center. I made it big enough for my head to go through and allow for comfort but small enough that it would rest on the carseat right. The size of this slit will differ based on your preferences.
After cutting the slit, I trimmed the edge of the fabric so it wouldn't drag on the floor when put on the carseat. Again, this will differ based on your preferences. I ended up trimming about 4" all around.
Lastly, I used yellow bias taping to trim the edges. On the corners of the slit, I did do some reinforcing stitches before applying the bias taping. I just didn't want it to tear further.And there you have it! A very easy, very useful project!
Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting a project that has nothing to do with babies, but for now, stay tuned next Wednesday for a new and improved cloth diaper tutorial!