We have been in our house since 2009 and I still have yet to complete our
master bedroom decor. I'm slowly making progress. Here's my latest.
My husband and I got a quilt for our wedding that is a tradition with all the cousins on my mom's side of the family. The bride and groom pick the colors, my aunt in Alaska usually pieces the quilt together and then during the next reunion, everyone contributes with some hand stitching. The pattern is the same every time, but each quilt is unique to the couple because of the different fabrics. Mine and Gary's was the 21st quilt made. We chose the colors brown and blue. It didn't turn out exactly as I had imagined--I was thinking of more of a sky blue. For a while I wanted to switch up the bedding altogether. But now it has definitely grown on me--it has so much meaning in it. I have just been struggling how to make the rest of our room tie into it.
Well, we have this window in our master bedroom that was just a window for a while. Then we found some brand new blinds at a yard sale for $10 (steal!). The door right next to the window that goes outside already had a shear white curtain over it, so I got another sheer white curtain to add to the window. Then it sat there. For a long time... Nothing too interesting or awesome about it.
I have these old books that I got at a flea market when I was in New Mexico. I've just held onto them for some random future project. The colors of the aged pages matched the quilt! So I decided to make some bunting for the window. Seriously, it hardly took any time at all.
I cut the pages into triangles,
hot glued them onto some yarn about 1 1/2" apart, and hung them up!
I used a wire where the arrow indicates and bent it
around the rod, and hung it down so I could hang
the bunting on it without going all the way to the top.
I did the first string from a book with lighter pages.
The next string of bunting came from a book with darker pages.
I hung it just the opposite from the first string.
I love that some of the pages had some handwritten notes on them.
Now to fix the lamps...
Linked up with: